Kefir No Knead Bread with Chia Seeds by @feedmeichi
Get a boost of probiotics straight to your gut! This No Knead Probiotic Kefir Bread Recipe provides you with a step by step guide to make bread that works for you. Try it for yourself and enjoy the kick of probiotics, fibre and whole grains in your daily diet. So whether you toast it or turn it into a sandwich your body will thank you for the extra goodness. (We also love the addition of chia seeds into anything and here it provides an awesome crunch!)
Product: Natural Live Kefir Probiotic Yoghurt
1 cup Table of Plenty Natural Kefir
¾ cup water
3 cups plain flour
¾ tsp instant dried yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp honey
1 ½ tbsp chia seeds
- Heat a small frying pan over low heat. Add the chia seeds and toast them for a few minutes till they just begin to brown.
- To make the dough, place the flour, yeast, chia seeds and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the kefir, water and honey to the dry ingredients and mix everything together.
- Cover the bowl with a piece of cling film and leave on the kitchen bench for at least 12 hours. If the weather is quite warm, the dough can be placed in the fridge and allowed to proof till it’s more than double in size.
- When the dough is ready, place a cast iron pot (lid as well) into an oven and preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius (conventional).
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Imagine the dough has four sides – pull the side closest to you up and towards the centre of the dough. Repeat with the left and right sides of the dough. Pull the top edge of the dough over all the folds and flip the dough over. Cup the dough with both hands and gently shape it into a round shape by rotating it on the bench.
- Place the dough on a piece of baking paper on a baking tray. The baking paper can be trimmed to the shape of the dough so it doesn’t bunch up too much when placed in the pot. Remember to leave enough baking paper around the dough so you can use it to lift the dough later. Cover the dough with a tea towel and allow to proof for another 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake, carefully remove the cast iron pot from the oven. Set the lid aside. Holding the edges of the baking paper, gently lift the bread off the baking tray and place it carefully into the pot. Score a large cross on the top of the bread with a sharp knife or scissors. Place the lid back on the pot and place the pot in the oven.
- Bake the bread for 30 minutes with the lid on. Remove the lid and bake for a further 15 minutes or till the bread is golden brown.
- Let the bread cool on a baking rack before slicing it up to serve.