Spiced Gingerbread Donuts By @earthlingsasha
A healthy vegan twist on the timeless donut. @earthlingsasha’s Gingerbread Spiced Donuts with Sweet Dukkah is the perfect way to get festive this holiday.
GINGERBREAD SPICE MIX
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1 tsp ground ginger
• 1/2 tsp allspice
• 1/2 tsp ground cloves
• 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
• 2 1/2 tsp gingerbread spice mix
• 2 tbsp coconut sugar
• 1 cup self-raising flour (or 1 cup flour + 1 tsp baking soda + 1 tsp baking powder)
• 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax meal + 2.5 tbsp water)
• 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
• 2 tbsp tahini
• 115 g super ripe banana
• 1 ½ tbs blackstrap molasses
• 3 tbsp soy milk
• 115g cup icing sugar
• 20ml warm water
• Sweet Dukkah from Table of Plenty
• Melted Dark Chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180C or 356F and grease + flour your donut pan
- Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl and set aside.
- To make the gingerbread spice, mix all spices together until evenly incorporated.
- In your other bowl, mash your banana until smooth (it’s okay if there’s a little bit of chunks). Combine the other wet ingredients together before slowly incorporating the wet and dry ingredients. Combine well.
- Scoop 1 -2 tbsp of batter evenly into your donut pan and tap lightly to pop any air bubble. Sprinkle a little more gingerbread spice and/or coconut sugar before placing in the oven for 20 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for a few minutes before transferring onto a baking rack and letting cool for 20 minutes
- For the icing, mix the icing sugar + water until well combined and desired consistency is reached. Add 1 drop of water at a time if you want to make it thinner. Lightly drizzle icing on the donuts, followed by some melted dark chocolate a sprinkle of sweet dukkah. Enjoy!