My top 5 back-to-school tips
It’s that time of year when all the best intentions can fly out the window quicker than a school hat lost on the 1st day! Here are my top 5 tips for creating a healthy happy routine for the new school year.
- Set new expectations/responsibilities. The start to the school year is a great time to set boundaries and responsibilities as children develop. It is SO much easier to do than in the middle of the year when habits and routines are already established. Grab this window of opportunity.
- Get kids involved in their diet. As a generalization, kids are less independent than in previous generations. I have found that getting my kids involved in the thinking and planning of meals and lunches gives an opportunity for time together, learning, listening to their interests and wishes and they have more buy into what they eat and learn how to be healthy.
Thanks to the wonderful @our.fam.in.squares for the inspo pic!
- Carve out 1 on 1 time with children. Often I have found that my kids just like to have some time with me without their sibling. It is a time when they can strengthen their bond and get to express themselves in their own unique way and it goes beyond the Q”: ‘What did you do at school’ A: ‘nothing much’ routine! Car journeys are also a ‘natural’ 1 on 1 time which I love.
- Create a distraction-free zone for homework. It can be tricky when devices used for entertainment and social media are the same as for homework. We have a spot in our family area where homework can be done which works well for us.
- Put a planner on the wall so the whole family can see what each other are doing.
I would love to hear your ideas for how you like to plan for the year! Upload your inspo at our instagram